The SRF logo features the Secretary bird (Sagittarius serpentarius), looking up high, by combining two elements; an array of five crest feathers over a search icon portraying the head and beak. We draw from this logo the inspiration to aim high and the motivation to work with SRF members towards realizing the academic and scientific potential of Sudan.
The Secretary bird demonstrates valuable lessons for ambitious scientists and students in our beloved Sudan:
- Writing is a significant scientific skill for communication and dissemination of knowledge. The crest feathers on the Secretary bird make it resemble a writer tucking quill pens behind his ears.
- The array of five feathers highlight the core academic values of integrity, freedom, quality, curiosity and innovation. SRF emphasizes the importance of mastering these values.
- The search icon symbolizes the deep attention to details by a disciplined and inquisitive spirit in pursuit of knowledge. The Secretary bird is in constant search and its attentional resources are focused on it; a Sudanese researcher’s attentional resources focus at the questions they seek answers for.
- Independence is a salient trait of the bird. It can not be domesticated; it defies any such attempts. Unbiased intellectual independence is a core quality of a successful scientist.
- The bird reflects our Sudanism. It is free, independent, loyal, defiant and hard-working.